Q: Is there any special precautions my staff and I should take regarding the H1N1 Flu issue?
A: I recommend that you and your staff checkout the CDC website: http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1FLU, and theDepartment of Health Services website: http://www.hhs.gov/. In addition follow my recommendations for a dental office,
1. When confirming patient appointments advise the patient if they have flu like symptoms with a temperature on the day of their appointment not to come in but call to reschedule.
2. Advise staff not to report to work if they have flu like symptoms with a temperature.
3. Use surface disinfectants in the waiting room area according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
4. Make available hand sanitizers for patients in the waiting room area and at the front counter.
5. Remove toys and magazines from the waiting room.
6. Increase office ventilation if possible.
7. Upgrade masks to “N” type temporarily.
8. Change masks frequently, minimum one mask per patient.
9. Wash hand frequently with soap and water between patients.
10. Use hand sanitizers in between washing hands with soap & water.