When it comes to patient safety we need to do the things that reduce risk and not increase it. This means not only having the products and equipment which is only 1%, but also a solid skill base – the other 99% of the equation.
I am always amazed when I ask Dental Professionals about their procedures regarding sterilization and cross contamination prevention and I get a response of “I Think So”. There is no room for “I Think So” in patient safety, you either achieve the critical results or you don’t, period!
From OSHA regulations to Infection Control requirements, from H1N1 Flu precautions to MRSA concerns and everything in between, employees must take the responsibility to be informed and learn new skills. The management must take the responsibility to see that employees do their job and that the right results are achieved.