The mindset of Dentistry for years is to be “OSHA Compliant” to the point Dental Professionals are running around doing OSHA this and OSHA that and not even realizing there is a much bigger picture, a much higher standard that must be achieved . The higher standard is what I call “Patient Compliance”; make no mistake, patients don’t need your service and nothing guarantees patients will come through the door. Be clear – You are not the only Dentist in town!
Running a business today is tuff and it is getting tougher and I am not just talking about successful businesses either. The following are some key concepts that Dental Offices need in order to survive, yes that’s right survive, face the fact Dentistry’s luck has run out.
1. Establish a “Standard of Operation” base on Patient Compliance and not just Regulatory Compliance.
2. Establish systems that will maintain the Standard of Operation.
3. Establish an ongoing staff training program that will assure achieving the Standard of Operation consistently.
4. Establish a philosophy of continuous communications among staff and management.
5. Establish a philosophy for patient education with focus to build trust through educating patient.
6. Establish a policy that bestows to management both responsibility and authority.
Take control by constantly enforcing the policies and procedures of the office. Make it clear that staff works for the business and towards one Standard of Operation.
It will take hard work and full cooperation from every member of the team to keep the practice moving in the right direction. Each staff member must instill the concept to do their very best, while making their best better. It will be the mindset of what you know and what you do with what you know that will take Dental Offices to beyond surviving to thriving in the months and years to come.