I am shocked as to the number of dental offices I find that are grossly out of compliance when it comes to patient safety. Everyday I am in dental offices which the employees do not know, do not care, understand or have a clue about preventing cross contamination. The common issues I find in dental offices after dental offices are,
- Employees not washing hands before or after gloving
- Employees handle patient instruments without wearing gloves
- Employees not using surface disinfectants per manufacture’s instructions
- Employees do not understand the purpose of spores testing
- Employees not checking sterilization indicators to validate sterilization of instruments
- Reusing disposable patient items or instrument pouches
- Employees not discarding used masks after each patient procedure
- Employees not processing instruments properly in sterilization
- Employees not placing x-ray aprons or thyroid guards on patients
- Employees not following government regulations regarding infection control
Do a few hundred patients need to come down with something before something is done about incompetent employees in dentistry?
When will dentists recognize the risk their patients are placed in because of their incompetent employees and correct the matter?