First of all radiation safety begins with the employee and their understanding what they need to know and do while working around x-ray equipment, employees must be safe regardless being male or female, pregnant or not. A simple but effective protocol for radition safety is doing the following three steps, (all three)
- Keep a distant of 6 feet or more from the source, the farther the better.
- Position yourself to be off the path of the beam from the source.
- Postion yourself behind a barrier.
Not adhering to a safety protocol can increase risk especially if the employee is in the same room which the patient is in while x-rays are being taken, extra precautions must be implemented,
- Employee should wear an x-ray apron equipped with a thyroid guard.
- Employee should wear a radiation dosimeter (radiation badge)
Unnecessary risk is risky business, take control by knowing and doing the right things, be responsible!